Municipal service agreement

Regulatory agreements

Section 3.3.9 of Construction By-law 513: Standards for connections to water and sewage systems;

Performing excavation in the roadway is strictly prohibited, for any reason whatsoever. However, any owner wishing to connect a building to water, sanitary sewer or storm-water sewer mains must comply with the formalities laid down by the officer in charge in cases for which the connecting of pipes must be done at the property line.

Anyone who installs, renews or extends a connection to the municipal sewer must obtain a permit for this purpose and comply with the law on sewer connections and its amendments.

Anyone who installs, renews or extends a connection to the municipal water supply must obtain a permit for this purpose and comply with municipal regulations that apply.

Section of Construction By-law 513: Connecting to water main;

Excavation in the roadway for the purpose of connecting a residential, commercial, industrial or institutional building to municipal water mains is strictly prohibited before the procurement of an authorization certificate from an authorized official.

Section of Construction By-law 513: Water meters;

For any new construction or existing building that is subject to restoration or renovation work involving substantial changes to plumbing, with the exception of residential buildings, a water meter must be installed on the inlet water main at the owner’s expense.

The water meter must be installed inside the building, in a place that is accessible at all times, with the exception of a garage, whether heated or not, or in another unheated room or space. The building inspector must approve of the location of the counter before its installation. The owner remains responsible for the operation of the meter, and any malfunction of the meter must be corrected.

Section of Construction By-law 513: Non-return valve and protection against backups;

All building owners must install, at their own expense, a non-return valve or other alternative safety device to their sanitary sewer line in order to meet the standards prescribed by the National Plumbing Code of 1985 to prevent contaminated water from entering the public water system.

A non-return valve must be installed on all horizontal branches receiving wastewater from all devices, including floor drains, retaining tanks, interceptors, tanks and other drains installed in basements and cellars. This non-return valve must be easily accessible for maintenance and cleaning.

The owner must keep non-return valves in good condition at all times.
The City is not responsible for the installation of non-return valve or any other type of safety device on a building drain.
The City assumes no responsibility for damage to buildings or their contents due to flooding caused by sewage backups.

The use of a threaded plug for closing the opening of a floor drain is permitted, but does not exempt the owner from the obligation to install a non-return valve.

Section of Construction By-law 513: Obligation of the constructor;

Any constructor or contractor performing connection work to the public sewer system must install a safety cap while the connection is not yet completed permanently.

Preliminary assessment of requests

The owner must submit a written request to the City’s urban planning and zoning department and provide the following documents and information:

  • The location (address) of the work;
  • All plans and drawings for the project;
  • The types of available connections and diameters;
  • The start date and schedule of work;
  • The name of the contractor who will carry out the work, and number of the Régie du Bâtiment du Québec (RBQ);
  • The initial deposit of $ 2,500.


After studying the case, the planning department either authorizes, refuses or requires changes for the request of an authorization certificate. If the request is accepted, the owner must make an initial deposit of $ 2,500 per connection. The municipality reserves the right to increase the amount of the initial deposit according to the significance of the work.

Notes: The materials needed to rebuild the public section, namely on the property of the City (stone, asphalt and / or concrete), are charged to the owner with a surcharge of 15%. The labour required for this work is charged at the current hourly rate, to which marginal costs and benefits are an added factor.

Requirements during a service connection

  1. All sewage and water supply work and repair must be performed in accordance with standard specification BNQ (1809-300), reviewed in 2004, and according to provisions and regulations of the City of Huntingdon. The work must begin within six (6) months from the date of issue of the authorization certificate and be completed within twelve (12) months.
  2. All work connecting water supply and / or sewage, including laying pipes between water main and property line, shall be done by the City’s employees. Materials (such as pipes, valves, seals) will be supplied by the City at the expense of the owner as mentioned above in details pertaining to the costs incurred by the owner.
  3. All excavation, support, backfilling, compacting on the City’s right-of-way must be performed by a licensed contractor at the owner’s expense.

The contractor shall provide all materials for backfilling up to the final coating. Asphalting or concreting is done by City employees. The final restoration behind the curb must be made within 48 hours of excavation. All work must be performed in accordance with the standards of the BNQ (1809-300), reviewed in 2004, and the requirements of the City, all at the owner’s expense..